I’ve had my hands in every part of the decision making from the major appliances down to the cabinet knobs. It has been great to be able to hand pick everything to fit to your specifications. We have designed a kitchen that has both form and function, but never did form win over function. It will be a beautiful kitchen to look at, but more importantly then anything, it will have functionality.
You can spend tens of thousands of dollars on a kitchen. The costs are almost endless. Where do you draw the line when the question is, “do I really need a built in butter warmer”? It would be nice, but I can heat butter on the stove with the same results. The costs for choices you make can range from low, to moderate, to high, or to ridiculous. We tried hard to keep the costs in the low to moderate range
Some of the things we felt we couldn’t live without:
• Built-In Filtered Water- No more plastic. We will recoup this cost.
• Instant Hot Water- The spout is built into the sink with the heater underneath. This seems like a luxury, but the cost is minimal, since the sink was torn apart already.
• High End Stove- The stove is going to get the most use in the kitchen. We felt this was a good place to splurge.
• Custom Cabinets- These are staying with us for as long as the house is standing. They are solid and well built and the boxes will never have to be replaced. We can switch out the doors, hardware, or color if they get worn or tired. We also decided to add extra cabinets under the bar countertop for some much needed storage.
• Proper Lighting- This was much more involved then I expected, but hopefully will be worth it.
Some of the things we decided against:
• Pot Filler- It is nice to be able to fill your pots from the top of the stove, but the kitchen is small enough to live without this.
• Extra Sink- I would have done this in a heartbeat if I had the space and budget.
• Built-In Pantry And Book Shelf- There was already an existing pantry that we kept to keep the costs down. The original design had a built in bookshelf facing the kitchen. A bookshelf has been designed to go into the main part of the kitchen and we painted the side of the existing pantry with chalkboard paint.
• New Dishwasher- The existing dishwasher works just fine and the only reason to replace it would be cosmetic. It’s black and none of the other appliances are matching. It’ll be fine until it breaks down and we need to replace it. We may consider painting it.
• Microwave- I couldn’t find the room for it and it is mostly used as a butter warmer.